Campomarino, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Among olive trees, and near a wide, beautiful beach, the town, on the borderline with the province of Foggia, enjoys a spectacular view on the Biferno valley, as far as the Tremiti Islands.
- Altitude: 51 m a.s.l
- Territory: coastal, gentle hills
- Population: about 6500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86042
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0875
- Frazioni & Localities: Lido Campomarino, Nuova Cliternia, Cianaluca.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Of very ancient origin as shown by bronze items of the 12th century BC found in the area of Defensola, was probably the place of a Roman colony called Cliternia. A foundation legend says that Diomedes, the Greek warrior who took part to the Trojan war, while coming back home stopped in the area and married the daughter of the local king Daunus; the hero was then buried in the Tremiti islands, and his tomb guarded by a species of swallows called Diomedee.
It was under many feudal lords, the last being the Di Sangro family. In the 16th century it was populated by an Albanese colony, whose language is still spoken in the place.
What to see
- The 12th century church of Santa Maria a Mare with beatiful columns and capitels, an ancient crypt, and frescow showing St. Demetrius fighting the Saracens and St. Nicholas.