Bonefro, Province of Campobasso, Molise
Near the spring of the Tona stream, the town enjoys a fine view on the valley as far as the seaside, among wide hills.
- Altitude: 606 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 86041
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0874
- Frazioni & Localities: San Vito.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Bonefro was inhabited since very ancient times, though the earliest historical docuemnts date back to the late 10th century; it was part of the Norman countdom of Loritello, then other feudal lords were Atenolfo De Stipite, and the Boccapianola and De Guevara families. A very typical tradition is repeated on the Epiphany, when groups of musicians go from house to house singing folk motifs.
What to see
- Parish church, with a precious marble altar and 16th century crucifix.
- The castle was probably originally built by the Lombards and has still two towers and remains of the walls
- The beautiful fountains of Fonte dei Ciechi and Fonte Pie' della Terra.