Urbino, Province of Pesaro-Urbino, Marche
- Altitude: 485 m a.s.l
- Population: about 15,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 61029
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0772
- Patron Saint: St. Crescentino, celebrated on June 1
- GPS Coordinates: 43°43'0"N - 12°38'0"E
The most famous member of the Montefeltro dynasty was Federico, lord of Urbino from 1444 to 1482, a great condottiere, diplomat and patron of art and literature. At his court Piero della Francesca wrote on the science of perspective, Francesco di Giorgio Martini his Treaties on Architecture and Raphael's father Giovanni Santi described the chief artists of the time. Federico's brilliant court was the example in Baldassare Castiglione's book Il Cortegiano of what characterized a "gentleman" in early modern Europe.
What to see
- The Palazzo Ducale, one of the most beautiful Renaissance residences hosting the "Galleria Nazionale delle Marche", a collection in 27 rooms of masterpieces by Piero della Francesca, Raphael, Titian, and others, a Museo Archeologico and a Museo della Ceramica, and the Sotterranei with stables, kitchens, laundry and other rooms.
- The native house of Raphael, situated in Via Raffaello 57, which contains a juvenile fresco made by the painter.
- The Cathedral, designed in the neo-classical style by Giuseppe Valadier, which preserves paintings by Federico Barocci.