Pesaro, Province of Pesaro-Urbino, Marche
- Altitude: 11 m a.s.l
- Population: about 92,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 61100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0721
- Patron Saint: St. Terenzio, celebrated on 24 September
- GPS Coordinates: 43.55 N - 12.54 E
History - Antiquity
In the 4th century AD Marches was invaded by the Gauls, and at the time of the Roman occupation two centuries later the population was a mixture of Gauls and Piceni. In Roman times Pisaurum was a busy merchant and trade center, connected to Rome through the Via Flaminia.
History - the Middle Ages and Modern Times
In the late Middle Ages and Renaissance the town was under the Malatesta (1285-1445), Sforza (1445-1512) and Della Rovere (1513-1631), who chose Pesaro as their capital and greatly encouraged art and culture, and built walls to defend the town against sea raids.
What to see
- The Museo and Biblioteca Oliveriani, preserving precious archeological items and illuminated manuscripts.
- The Palazzo Ducale, built under Alessandro Sforza in the second half of the 15th century, with a typical facade on six arches supported by huge pillars.
- The Cathedral built on an ancient church of the 5th century AD, originally consecrated to an unknown Saint, then renamed to San Terenzio in 1447, when the saints relics were placed under the main altar. During restoration works in 1865 an ancient mosaic floor, covering 900 square meters, was uncovered, and is today one of the jewels of the town.
- The Rocca Costanza, a 15th century fortress with round towers at the corners and a wide ditch around.
- near the Palazzo Ducale, the native home of composer Gioacchino Rossini, hosting today a Rossini museum with prints, manuscripts, paintings, and the original instrument used by the composer.
- The Civic Museum in piazza Toschi-Mosca, including a Ceramic Museum and Pinacoteque, with the magnificent "Pala di Pesaro" by Giovanni Bellini (nicknamed Giambellino).
Where to stay
- Hotels: 4-stars | 3-stars | 2-stars | 1-star
- Agritourisms | Bed & Breakfast | Holiday Homes
- Campsites & Tourist Villages.