Gabicce Mare, Province of Pesaro-Urbino, Marche
- Population: about 5,900 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 61011
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0722
- Patron Saint: Immacolata Concezione, celebrated on 8 December
- Frazioni & Localities: Case Badioli, Gabicce Monte, Ponte Tavollo, Vigna del Mare.
How to arrive
- by car: motorway A 14, exit: Cattolica - San Giovanni - Gabicce Mare;
- by train: Cattolica - San Giovanni - Gabicce Mare rail station is just 2 Km. far from Gabicce Mare.
- by air: Bologna Airport 120 Km, Ancona Airport, 90 Km, linked with national scheduled flights to Rome and Milan. Rimini Airport at 20 Km offers special chartered flights from May to September (car rental services inside the airports)
Gabicce Monte was a medieval castle, whose lord in the 11th century was a Ligabitio who probably left his name to the place. The castle was under the influence of Pesaro, then in 1539 became a fiefdom of Orazio Floridi from Fano. A census of 1686 gave a total 337 inhabitants. Another lord of the place was Ottavio Mamiani, then it came under the influence of the Church State, until in 1860 was included in the Kingdom of Italy.
In the early 20th century the seafront settlement (Gabicce Mare) began to grow and a fishing economy developed, then after the Second World War the townhall was moved to Gabicce Mare, which underwent a striking tourist development.
Events and Festivities
- on the last Sunday in May the feast of Stella Maris, a traditional celebration of seafaring people
- From June to September, the Martedì dell'Arte (Art Tuesdays) when in the Valbruna square, in Gabicce Monte, painters and sculptorks work publicly.
- at Eastertime, the cycling week, organized tourist excursions in the hinterland.
What to see
- The Monte San Bartolo Natural Park, a scenic area of high coastline and luxuriant vegetation
- Baia Vallugola the ancient Roman port and site of the legendary Valbruna, a mythical town that disappered into the sea.