Cagli, Province of Pesaro-Urbino, Marche
Ancient town situated along the via Flaminia on a hill top of mount Petrano in the Burano valley, in a picturesque natural landscape of hill, mountain and prairies.
- Altitude: 276 m a.s.l
- Population: about 9,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 61043
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0721
- Frazioni & Localities: Abbadia di Naro, Acquaviva, Ca' Bargello, Cerreto, Foci, Massa, Moira, Paravento, Pianello, Pieia, Secchiano, Smirra.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Remains of a Roman Bridge, at the entrance of the town
- The Palazzo Comunale, rebuilt at different times on the original 13th century palace.
- On top of the medieval citadel, remains of a giant tower (the Torrione), once a castle built in 1481 by Francesco di Giorgio Martini.
- The church of San Francesco, with a fine Romanesque-Gothic portal and inside a painting by Raffaellino del Colle
- The Prairies of Monte Petrano at about 7 miles, rising at 1108 Mt., where grass skiing and strawberry festivals take place is spring and summer.