Ussita, Province of Macerata, Marche
A mountain area offering a wealth of historical, cultural, environmental and recreational attractions, with skiing facilities at the foot of Monte Bove, sports facilities, and mountain bikes and trekking itineraries. The commune consistes of a number of small hamlets with town hall at Fluminata.
- Altitude: 730 m a.s.l
- Population: about 400 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62039
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: the Santissimo Crocifisso, celebrated on the first Sunday in September
- Frazioni & Localities: Calcara, Capovallazza, Casali, Castel Fantellino, Cuore di Sorbo, Fluminata, Frontignano, Pian dell'ArcoPieve, Sammerlano, Sant'Eusebio, Sasso, Sorbo, San Placido, Vallazza, Vallestretta, Tempori.
- GPS Coordinates: 42°57'N, 13°8'E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In the Middle Ages Ussita was one of the five jurisdictions (Guaite) of the Commune of Visso.
What to see
- at Castel Murato, on the Fantellino hill remains of the Varano castle with a huge central square tower whose construction was started by Rodolfo da Varano in 1380. The castle was surrounded by walls, defended by 5 towers and a ditch.
- at Pieve, the church of Santa Maria Assunta with frescoes ascribed to Paolo da Visso
- at Casali, the church of Santi Vincenzo ed Anastasio, originally a benedictine cell founded by St. Eutizio in Lombard times, and consecrated by the bishop of Spoleto in 1093, as shown by a stone inscription inside the church; inside Baroque altars and a painting by A. Righi dated 1638.