Poggio San Vicino, Province of Macerata, Marche
A small mountain commune taking its name from the San Vicino mountain.
- Altitude: 509 m a.s.l
- Population: about 300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62021
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0733
- Patron Saint: Santa Caterina da Siena, celebrated on 30th April
- Frazioni & Localities: Cordivino, Serronchia
- GPS Coordinates: 43.3761 N, 13.08 E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Existing in Roman times with the name of Podium Tufficanum, it was called Ficano con until 1929. in the Middle Ages it was under the control of the Abbey of Val Castro, and in 1346 passed under the Smeducci lordship. It was included in the jurisdiction of the commune of San Severino until the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860, when it became an independent municipality.
What to see
- a medieval tower at top of the historical center, the only remain of the ancient fortifications;
- The 19th-century parish church of Santa Maria Assunta, preserving inside a Renaissance wood-carved crucifix.