Pievebovigliana, Province of Macerata, Marche
Formed of a number of small hamlets, the commune lies in a very picturesque position in the valley of the Fornace stream. There are forests of chestnuts and oaktrees in the area around the hamlet called "Isola", a pinewood at Quartignano and at Boccafornace a Karst spring originating a spectacular lake. The territory has an age-old, still lively traditions of cloth-making on hand-looms, wood carving and honey production.
- Altitude: 439 m a.s.l
- Population: about 800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62035
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: St. Macario, celebrated on 2nd May
- Frazioni & Localities: Colle San Benedetto, Fiano, Frontillo, Isola, Roccamaia, San Giusto, San Maroto
- GPS Coordinates: 43°4'0"N - 13°5'0"E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Historical Centre with walls of the 14th century, the Beldiletto Castle, the Casa Marchetti and Colombaia Tower.
- in Pontelatrave, a Roman Bridge on the Chienti river.
- The Monastery of San Francesco, with the still extant miraculous well where St. Francis changed the water into wine to restore the labourers.
- In San Maroto, the 12th century church of San Giusto, with a peculiar round plan and four chapels departing from a large dome, carved and decorated outside in a sponge-like stone; inside, frescoes of the 14th century, a byzanthine painting.