Monte San Martino, Province of Macerata, Marche
Situated on a rocky cliff, in the Monti Azzurri area, about 30 km south of the province capital Macerata.
- Altitude: 603 m a.s.l
- Population: about 800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0733
- Patron Saint: St. Martino, celebrated on 11th November
- Frazioni & Localities: Anselmi, Bivio Gallo, Diletti, Molino, Piane, San Venanzo
- GPS Coordinates: 43°2'N - 13°26'E
In the vicinity there was an ancient Roman settlement along the Via Faleria; in the 10th century AD the monastery of Santa Caterina was founded, possibly at the time of the Frankish occupation, which would eplain also the name of San martino given to the place, from St. martin the bishop of the French town of Tours. In 1240 it became a free commune.
- Official Website of the Comune of Monte San Martino
- A map of Monte San Martino
- Surnames in Monte San Martino.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook