Monte Cavallo, Province of Macerata, Marche
A mountain commune at the entrance of a canyon, formed of a number of small hamlets, with townhall at Pié del Sasso.
- Altitude: 648 m a.s.l
- Population: about 170 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: St. Bernardino from Norcia, celebrated on 21st March
- Frazioni & Localities: Collattoni, Pian della Noce, Piè del Sasso, Cascine, Selvapiana
- GPS Coordinates: 43°2'0"N - 13°3'0"E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In the early Middle Ages it was a fiefdom of the Baschi family of Orvieto, then passed under the Varano and finally in the mid-16th century became part of the Church State.
What to see
- In Valle, the church of San Benedetto, still preserving elements of the original Benedictine abbey;
- in Valcadara the Church of San Nicolò with 15th-century frescoes ascribed to Paolo da Visso representing the Annunciation, Crucifixion and Resurrection;
- in Collattoni the springs of Vene and Trocchi, a picturesque trekking itinerary.