Castelsantangelo sul Nera, Province of Macerata, Marche
Its name comes from the vicinity to the springs of the Nera river, a tributary of the Tiber, in a picturesque forested area, once dedicated to pastures and sheep raising, today offering fine skiing facilities at Monta Prata.
- Altitude: 780 m a.s.l
- Population: about 300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: Santo Stefano, celebrated on 26th December
- Frazioni & Localities: Vallinfante, Gualdo, Spina di Gualdo, Nocria, Rapegna, Nocelleto, Macchie
- GPS Coordinates: 42°54'0"N - 13°9'0"E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
An ancient establishment of the pre-roman population of the Umbri, it was a domain of the Commune of Visso since the 13th century.
What to see
- The fortified walls around the historical centre, with a gate called Porta Norcina still bearing the inscription MCCCLXX (year 1370).
- The one-nave Romanesque church of San Martino, preserving frescoes of the 15th century and a 16th-century painting representing the Virgin Mary by Paolo Bontulli from Percanestro
- The 14th-century church of Santo Stefano, with a fine stone carved baptistery;
- The 14th-century Gothic Church of San Liberatore, all decorated with frescoes of the 15th and 16th century, as well as a crucifix painted on wood ascribed to Paolo da Visso.
- excursions are possible in the surroundings, as to the springs of the Nera River, or the summits of Fonte del Lupo (m 1775) and Forca di Gualdo (1469 m.).