Bolognola, Province of Macerata, Marche
The highest commune in the region at over 3,300 feet a.s.l., in the heart of the Sibillini National Park, with important endemic vegetation as gentian and orchids.
It is today mainly a tourist centre, thanks to the skiing facilities located around the hamlet of Pintura. The historical center consists of 3 main parts: the Villa da Capo or Villa Malvezzi to the south, Villa di Mezzo or Villa Pepoli in the centre, and Villa da Piedi or Villa Bentivoglio to the north, the threee villas taking their names from three Ghibelline families expelled from Bologna in the 13th century.
- Altitude: 1061 m a.s.l
- Population: about 170 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 62035
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: St. Fortunato, celebrated on 1 June
- Frazioni & Localities: Pintura
- GPS Coordinates: 43°0'0"N 13°14'0"E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The peak of Monte Rotondo, with the splendid natural waterfall of Forra dell'Acquasanta.