Acquacanina, Province of Macerata, Marche
The small town is located in the heart of the Sibillini mountains, along the southern bank of Lake Fiastra. It takes its peculiar name (meaning "dog water") from the abundance of waters, and its position as a checking point on the whole upper Fiastrone valley, and has become a tourist resort both in summer for the amenity of its climate and in winter, thanks to the fine cross-country ski-tracks on Monte Ragnolo.
- Altitude: 734 m a.s.l
- Population: about 130 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 043001
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0737
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 8th May
- GPS Coordinates: 43.03333 N, 13.16667 E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The first settlements in the area are recorded from the 6th century AD, around the Benedictine Abbey of San Salvatore of Rio Sacro.
What to see
- The 15th-century Torre colombaia used as a fortified mansion and as a haven for doves.
- The ruins of a 16th century Castle built by the Da Varano family.
- The parish church of Rio Sacro, preserving inside important works as a 16th-century wooden group representing the Rio Sacro Virgin with Child, a painting representing the Madonna del Suffragio by Carlo Maratta, and a fresco St. Sebastian's martyrdom, ascribed to Girolamo di Giovanni.