Porto San Giorgio, Province of Fermo, Marche
- Altitude: 4 m a.s.l
- Population: about 16,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63017
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0734
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio, celebrated on 23 April
- Frazioni & Localities:
- GPS Coordinates: 43°11'N 13°48'E
- Useful Links: the official website of the comune www.comune.porto-san-giorgio.ap.it | a map of Porto San Giorgio
- How to arrive: by railway, the station is along the Bologna-Pescara line; by road, motorway A14 exit Porto San Giorgio; bus connection from Rome.
In the 11th century AD it is recorded as Castel San Giorgio, then in 1267 it came under the control of Lorenzo Tiepolo, the Podestà of Fermo and later of Venice, who started the construction of the fortress. In the early 19th century it became a municipality separate from Fermo.
What to see
- The Rocca Tiepolo, named after Fermo Governor Lorenzo Tiepolo, an imposing fortress built in 1267 on a square plan with towers and merlons, as both a sighting post and defence of the harbour; recently renovated, it used as a cultural and theatrical center.
- Villa Bonaparte, surrounded by a wide landscaped park, a mansion in Neo-classical style built in the early 19th century on a design by Ireneo Aleandri for Girolamo Bonaparte, Napoleon's youngest brother, who lived in Porto San Giorgio in the years 1829 - 1831.
- The Tourist Port, the largest in the Adriatic, with docking facilities for 856 boats, built in 1984, which was awarded 9 Blue Flags by the European Union.
Events and Festivities
- every summer, an international Chess Tournament held at the local Palasport, which is attended by players from all over the world.
- in late July, the Festa del Mare, with a sea parade of fishing boats and traditional seafood festival with the Adriatic giant pan, with a diameter of 4 metres, containing 1,000 liters of oil.