Palmiano, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
Situated amid the mountains of the Tronto river, the small town is among the least populated communes in the province.
- Altitude: 550 m a.s.l
- Population: about 200 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0736
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 29th September
- Frazioni & Localities: Castel San Pietro
- GPS Coordinates: 42°54'4"N 13°27'38"E
- Useful Links: a map of Palmiano
The name possibly derives from the Latin palmi mano from the shape of the surrounding hills, similar to a hand palm. Its originis go back to an early medieval settlement of Benedictine monks, as shown by remains of a typically Benedictine tower near the hamlet of Pedara. During the French occupation, in 1799 it was taken by a band of highwaymen, who established their headquarters in the townhall, destroying all the historical documents of the Commune.
Where to stay
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook