Montemonaco, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
The highest commune in the Province, situated on a mountain crest between the Tesino and Aso rivers, the place has grown into a summer and winter resort, thanks to the healthy climate and fine surrounding landscapes of the Sibillini National Park.
- Altitude: 988 m a.s.l
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63048
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0736
- Patron Saint: St. Sebastiano, celebrated on 20th January
- Frazioni & Localities: Ariconi, Cese, Colleregnone, Diga di Gerosa, Ferrè, Foce, Isola San Biagio, Pignotti, Rascio, Rocca, Ropaga, San Giorgio all'Isola, San Lorenzo, Vallegrascia, Vallorani
- GPS Coordinates: 42°53'57"N 13°20'2"E
- Useful Links: a map of Montemonaco
The name of the place derives from settlements of the Benedictine monks, who first came to colonize this mountain area. In the late 13th century a number of vassals of the nearby hamlets established a free Commune on the Benedictine site, and for better protection built the massive walls and towers. In later centuries the commune was included in the Church State and in 1860 was annexed to the Italian Kingdom.
Where to stay
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook