Montegallo, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
Situated at the foot of Mount Vettore, is formed of many separate hamlets, with the municipal seat at Balzo. The economy is mostly based on biological agriculture, the main produce being chestnuts and truffle; more recently the trend towards organic food and uncontaminated environments has given rise to a remarkable tourist development.
- Altitude: 870 m a.s.l
- Population: about 700 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0736
- Patron Saint: St. Bernardino da Siena, celebrated on 20th May
- Frazioni & Localities: Abetito, Astorara, Balzo, Bisignano, Casale Nuovo, Castro, Colle, Collicello-Corbara, Fonditore, Forca, Migliarelli, Piano, Propezzano, Rigo, Uscerno
- GPS Coordinates: 42°50'37"N 13°19'54"E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The settlements rose around the abbey of Santa Maria in Lapide. In 1250 it came under the influence of Ascoli. After the Second World War, there was a massive emogration to Germany, Switzerland, Brazil and other destinations.
What to see
- In Balzo, Palazzo Branconi, with a fine medieval facade