During the Middle Ages it was repeatedly involved in the feuds among powerful families of Ascoli. More recently, starting from the aftermath of the Second World War, a large part of the population moved to the plain, where the settlement odf Stella has been growing steadily.
Monsampolo del Tronto, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
Situated 18 km south-west of Ascoli Piceno, the small town rises on a hillcrest, in a very strategical position, both commercial and military, among the territories of Ascoli, Fermo and the Abruzzo region.
- Altitude: 158 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0735
- Patron Saint: St. Mauro, celebrated on 18th April
- Frazioni & Localities: Comunanza, Fontanelle, San Francesco, Sant'Egidio, Stella (with abt 2500 inhabitants), Treazzano, Valle Cecchina
- GPS Coordinates: 42°53'N, 13°47'E
- Useful Links: a map of Monsampolo del Tronto
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The earliest archeological findings in the area of Treazzano go back to 1000 years BC, and show contacts with the Micenean civilization. The first historical record ia a mention in a donation document of 1031 AD.