Cossignano, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
Situated in the hills and calanques between the Menocchia and Tesino stream, in a fine panoramic position from the mountains to the Adriatic Sea.
- Altitude: 400 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0735
- Patron Saint: St. Giorgio, celebrated on 23rd April
- Frazioni & Localities: Ponte Tesino, San Michele, Tesino
- GPS Coordinates: 42°59'7"N 13°41'27"E
- Useful Links: a map of Cossignano.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The origins of the town are ancient, since already in the 7th century BC a Piceni settlement was present in the area. In Roman times the important road connecting Asculum (Ascoli) and Firmum (Fermo) crossed the area, where possibly the Cossinii gens of Tivoli had possessions, so that from the name praedium cossinianum the toponymic derived. In the year 1039 the name of the town is mentioned in a donation from the Duchy od Spoleto to the monastery of Farfa. Throughout the Middle Ages, it was alternatively under the influence of either Ascoli or Fermo. In 1581 the statutes of the municipality were published, and 2 original copies are preserved in the Archivio di Stato in Roma and London British Library.
What to see
- The Historical Centre surrounded by walls, with the Torrione (tower) and the municipal palace, where a huge painting of patron St. George is preserved, as well as the red shirt of one of Garibaldis' Mille, and an ancient bell dated 1303 with the municipal coat-of-arms and a prayer to the Virgin Mary
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, with paintings of the 18th century and a reliquary donated by Pope Niccolò IV.