Acquasanta Terme, Province of Ascoli Piceno, Marche
The municipality comprises a very wide territory, including many smaller centres and part of the Gran Sasso - Monti della Laga National Park. The town takes its name from Vicus ad Aquas (=village near the water), a Roman settlement established in the vicinity of the well-known spa springs.
- Altitude: 392 m a.s.l
- Population: about inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 63041
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0736
- Useful Links: a map of Acquasanta Terme
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Acquasanta Terme comprises the following Frazioni & Localities: Agore, Arli, Arola, Arola di Sotto, Capodirigo, Centrale, Collefalciano, Corneto, Falciano, Farno, Favalanciata, Fleno, Luco, Macera della Morte, Matera, Novele, Paggese-Santa Maria, Peracchia, Piandelloro, Pito, Pomaro di Sotto, Ponte d'Arli, Pozza, Quintodecimo, Rocca Monte Calvo, San Giovanni-Collefrattale, San Gregorio, San Martino, San Vito, Stallo, Tallacano, Torre Santa Lucia, Umito, Vallefusella, Venamartello
A Roman settlement was established in the area to take advantage of the hot cave springs. In medieval times Acquasanta came under the influence of the Farfa Abbey, to be later included in the Church State. Since the 14th century 4 separate jurisdictions existed, namely Acquasanta and Luco, Quintodecimo, Monteacuto, Montecalvo, all of which in 1860, with the annexation to the Italian kingdom, were merged into the one commune of Acquasanta Terme.
What to see
- The Spa Waters, whose springs inside the Grotta-Cratere Orsini emit 15 million liters a day at the temperature of 38 degrees centigrade.
- The medieval borough of Paggese, a well-preserved environment of alleys, stairways and arches.
- The 11th century fortress of Castel di Luco, a peculiar round castle rising on a travertine rock, with a small group of houses nestled around its walls.