Senigallia, Province of Ancona, Marche
- Altitude: 3 mt a.s.l.
- Population: about 43,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 60019
- Dialing Area Code: +39 071
- Patron Saint: St. Paolino Bigazzini, celebrated on 4 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Bettolelle, Borgo Catena, Borgo Passera, Brugnetto, Cannella, Castellaro, Cesano, Gabriella, Mandriola, Marzocca, Montignano, Roncitelli, Sant'Angelo, San Silvestro, Scapezzano, Vallone, Vasari.
- GPS Coordinates: 43°43'N, 13°13'E
- the Comune official website www.comune.senigallia.an.it
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
A revival started under Pope Gregory XI, who gave Cardinal Egidio Albornoz the task of restoring the authority of the papacy also in the Marche region; the cardinal started works on the marsh and the fortress. A further improvement took place in the early 15th century under Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who reconstructed the city walls including in their perimeter the Albornoz fortress; he also promised tax exemptions to whoever would settle in the new city, welcomed a Jewish community and established the Maddalena Fair, a free marketplace where no customs duties were to be paid which attracted traders from all over the Mediterranean.
Contrasts with Pope Sistus IV, however, brought about the fall of Sigismondo, and in 1474 the Pope gave the Dukedom of Senigallia to his own nephew, Giovanni della Rovere, who would later marry the daughter of the Montefeltro Duke; their son Francesco Maria della Rovere was adopted by Guidobaldo, the last member of the Montefeltro Dukes, joining the two families.
From the 18th to the 20th century
What to see
- The Bedini church, which preserves an image of the Madonna della Misericordia, given to the church by Cardinal Gaetano Bedini and blessed by Pope Pius IX; in this church, on the 3rd Sunday in October, a plenary indulgence is celebrated.
- The fortress, an example of Renaissance military architecture, with a square plan and 4 imposing round bastions, built on previous Roman and medieval fortresses.
Events and Festivities
- every year in August, the Summer Jamboree, international festival of the music and culture of the mythical 1950's.