Varese, Province of Varese, Lombardy
Varese is a city in north-western Lombardy, 55 km north of Milan, with an economy mainly based on industry and, to a lesser extent, specialized agriculture; Varese is also home to Malpensa International Airport, which serves the international traffic of Milan, Italy.
Some famous Varese-based firms are Aermacchi (military trainer aircrafts), Agusta (helicopters), Cagiva (motorbikes), former Ignis (now part of Whirlpool electronics). Especially renowned is the high quality of Varese shoe factories.
- Altitude: 382 m a.s.l
- Population: about 81,000 inhabitants in 2011
- Zip/postal code: 21100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0332
- Patron Saint: St. Vittore il Moro (=the Moor), celebrated on 8th May.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Lombardy
Varese is divided into six circoscrizioni, each including a number of the traditional quarters.
- Circoscrizione 1: Varese Centro, Brunella, Biumo Inferiore;
- Circoscrizione 2: Bobbiate, Bosto, Calcinate del Pesce, Cartabbia, Capolago, Casbeno, Lissago;
- Circoscrizione 3: Bregazzana, Campo dei Fiori, Fogliaro, Rasa, Santa Maria del Monte, Sant'Ambrogio, Velate;
- Circoscrizione 4: Avigno, Biumo Superiore, Calcinate degli Orrigoni, Ippodromo, Masnago, Montello;
- Circoscrizione 5: Belforte, San Fermo, Valle Olona;
- Circoscrizione 6: Bizzozero, Giubiano, San Carlo.
What to see
- Villa Mirabello
- Castello di Masnago