Bormio, Province of Sondrio, Lombardy
Provinces of Lombardy
- Altitude: 1,225 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 23032
- Phone Area Code: 0342
- Patron Saint: Santi Gervasio and Protasio, celebrated on 16 June
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
Between the 10th and 13th centuries Bormio was disputed by both the bishops of Como and those of Coira, and was gradually able to obtain a remarkable autonomy. In 1376 the town came under the Visconti of Milan, and maintained many privileges, that were however lost when in 1487 it was occupied by the Lega dei Grigi (or Grigioni).
History - Modern Times
What to see
- The historical centre, with renaissance palaces, many of them frescoed inside
- 3 km to the south-west the mineral springs of Cepina
- 22 km to the north-east the Stelvio mountain pass, at an altitude of 2758 meters, which is among Europe's highest roads, connecting the Valtellina to the Valvenosta, in the heart of the Stelvio National Park, an area of rich vegetation and with many important protected species.
- to the south east, the Valfurva valley, covered with thick forests, which leads under the glaciers and to the Cevedale summit (3764 m).
- On Easter Sunday, the Pasquali, an ancient tradition consisting in the blessing of five live little white lambs, one for each of the five ancient quarters (Buglio, Maggiore, Dossorovina, Combo, Dossiglio), that compete for the best parade, with allegorical carts and shepherds in traditional costumes.