LogoLogo

Cremona, Province of Cremona, Lombardy

Cremona is situated on the left shore of Po river in the middle of the Pianura padana. Two museums, the Museo Stradivariano and the Collezione di Violini in the Townhall, document the rich musical history of the town.

Info

  • Area: 1771 km²
  • Altitude: 45 m
  • GPS Coordinates: 45°8'N - 10°2'E
  • Population: about 70,000 inhabitants
  • Population Density: 1,018/km²
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0372
  • Postal (zip) code: 26100
  • Patron Saint: St. Omobono, celebrated on 13th November
  • Official website: www.comune.cremona.it/
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Lombardy

History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages

Founded in 218 BC by the Romans as a military outpost, it became one of the largest towns in northern Italy; destroyed in 69 under emperor Vespasian, though it was rebuilt, never regained rebuilt its former prosperity, and in 605 was destroyed again by the Lombard Agilulf.

In the later Middle Ages, Cremona sided with the Ghibellines, and was sacked in 1311 by Henry VII, and again in 1499, when Venice allied with Louis XII against Milan.

History - Modern Times

Cremona has always been a prominent centre in musical history. Composer Marc Antonio Ingegneri taught here, and among his students there was Claudio Monteverdi. A bishop of Cremona, Nicolò Sfondrato, became Pope Gregory XIV in 1590 and strongly patronized music.

From the 16th century onwards, Cremona also became renowned for musical instrument manufacture, beginning with the violins of the Amati family, and later with the Guarneri and Stradivari shops, still today considered the top constructors of string instruments.

Museums

  • The Museo Berenziano, Via Milano (c/o Seminario Vescovile) 5
  • The Museo Civico Ala Ponzone, Via Ugolani Dati (c/o Palazzo Affaitati) 4;
  • The Museo della Civilta' Contadina della Val Padana, Via Castelleone (c/o Cascina Cambonino) 51

Where to stay