Cantù, Province of Como, Lombardy
Situated about 6 miles south-east of the province capital Como, west of the Brianza area, Cantù has a very lively furniture production, being one of the main Italian production centers. In the town there is a Permanent Furniture Exhibition and a Home Design Gallery.
- Altitude: 370 m a.s.l
- Population: about 38,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 22063
- Dialing Area Code: +39 031
- Patron Saint: St. Apollonia, celebrated on 9 February
- Frazioni & Localities: Cantù Asnago, Cascina Amata, Fecchio, Mirabello, Vighizzolo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Lombardy
An ancient Celtic settlement with the name of Canturium, the town was a medieval stronghold of strategic importance during the Middle Ages, allied to Milan against Como. In 1324 it became an independent Republic but came again under the influence of Milan in 1475, and in 1525 the town was included in the fiefdom of the Pietrasanta Counts.
What to see
- The Museo del Mobile
- In the frazione Galliano, the basilica of San Vincenzo and baptistery of San Giovanni Battista, a complex on top of a hill of great historical and artistic importance.