Caravaggio (BG), Lombardy
Caravaggio is a small town 40 kilometres east from Milan, known for being the hometown of Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, from which the Italian Renaissance painter took his name.
The city is also known for a Sanctuary built after the event of May 26th 1432: the young Giannetta De' Vacchi was picking up grass in the fields while, it is said, Mary, the mother of Jesus appeared to the girl. As a sign of the apparition, a source of water started to flow out of nowhere.This water eventually brought many beneficial effects to people, and the Sanctuary is build over the source, and it is visited yearly by thousands of pilgrims who go there to drink the holy water.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Lombardy
- Altitude: 111 m a.s.l
- Population: about 14,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 24043
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0363
- Patron Saint: Saints Fermo and Rustico, celebrated on 9th August
- Frazioni & Localities: Masano, Vidalengo.
- GPS Coordinates: 45°30'N 9°39'E
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Caravaggio .