Bergamo (BG), Lombardy
- Altitude: 249 m a.s.l
- Population: about 110,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 24100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 035
- Patron Saint: St. Alessandro, celebrated on 26th August, and Santa Grata, celebrated on 12th May
- Frazioni & Localities: Boccaleone, Borgo Pignolo, Borgo Palazzo, Borgo San Lorenzo, Borgo Santa Caterina, Carnovali, Campagnola, Celadina, Colli, Colognola, Conca Fiorita, Grumello del Piano, Longuelo, Loreto, Malpensata, Monterosso, Redona, San Paolo, San Tomaso de' Calvi, Sant'Alessandro, Santa Lucia, Valtesse, Villaggio degli Sposi.
- GPS Coordinates: 45°41'42"N 9°40'12"E
Provinces of Lombardy
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
Bergamo has a prominent place in music history. The large Romanesque church of S Maria Maggiore, begun in 1137, had a continuous and well-documented tradition of music teaching and singing for more than eight hundred years.
During the Italian Risorgimento, the town contributed to Garibaldi expedition with a large number of volunteers, and for this reason was named the "Città dei Mille".
Where to stay in Bergamo
- Official Website of the Comune of Bergamo.