In Roman times the "castrum de Arcene" rose at the junction of two roads, one connecting Milano to Aquileia and the other between Laude Pompeia and Rhaetia, as shown by ruins west of the town.
Arcene (BG), Lombardy
- Altitude: 152 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 24040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 035
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 5 april
- GPS Coordinates: 45°35'N - 9°37'E
Provinces of Lombardy
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages
Feudal lords of the place were the Da Mozzo and Dalla Bretta, and at the time of the Free Communes (13th-15th century) Arcene was ruled by the Capitani of Arcene acting as kinds of governors for the city of Bergamo and later for the Visconti. In 1428 Arcene came under Venetian rule, and a census of 1574 counted 378 souls.
History - Modern Times
After a massive emigration in the late 19th and early 20th century, a railway line that connected Arcene to Lodi and Bergamo brought about a change towards industry and the tertiary sector.
What to see
- The Parish church of San Michele Arcangelo, with a fine organ made in 1865 by brothers Carlo and Francesco Perolini.
- Official Website of the Comune of Arcene.