La Spezia, Province of La Spezia, Liguria
- Altitude: 3 m a.s.l
- Population: about 95,000 inhabitants in 2011
- Zip/postal code: 19100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0187
- Patron Saint: San Giuseppe, celebrated on 19 march and the Assumption on 15th August
- Frazioni & Localities: -Biassa, Cadimare, Campiglia, Carozzo, Costa di Murlo, La Foce, Marola, Montale di Marola, Muggiano, Pitelli, Ruffino, San Venerio, Sarbia, Strà, Valdurasca
History - the Middle Ages
After that the town was included in the Republic of Genoa. In the 14th century the town was one of the main centers for salt trade, and the Genoan Doge Simon Boccanegra established a Podesteria there, which in 1371 included also the jurisdiction of Carpena. In that period La Spezia was surrounded by defensive walls and in 1407 also the castle of San Giorgio was built.
History - Modern Times
In 1797 the French occupation marked the end of the Genoa supremacy and in 1815 the town was included in the kingdom of Sardinia, and nas made province capital. In 1861 works for the military Arsenale were begun, to make of the town the main military port of the kingdom.
During the Second World War, the city's port was used by the German Kriegsmarine as the main base for U-boats operating in the Mediterranean Sea, and as a consequence was heavily bombed by the Allied Forces.