Ventimiglia, Province of Imperia, Liguria
Ventimiglia, the ancient Roman Album Intimilium or Albintimilium), a frontier fortress and seaport, 94 miles West of Genoa. It was a Roman municipium with an extensive territory, and of some importance under the Empire.
- Altitude: 9 m a.s.l
- Population: about 25,000 inhabitants in 2011
- Zip/postal code: 18039
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0184
- Patron Saint: St. Secondo, celebrated on 26 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Bevera, Calandri, Calvo, Carletti, Grimaldi, Latte, Mortola Inferiore, Mortola Superiore (I Ciotti), Porra, Roverino, San Lorenzo, San Pancrazio, Sant'Antonio, Sealza, Seglia e San Bernardo, Torri, Trucco, Varase, Verrandi, Villatella, Ville
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- Roman ruins of the ancient town, situated in the plain of Nervia, 3 miles to the East of the modern; among them a theatre, traces of the ancient city walls, and a number of tombs to the west of the theatre.
- The present Gothic cathedral is built on the ruins of an earlier Lombard church, and this again on a Roman building, possibly a temple.