Sanremo, Province of Imperia, Liguria
Situated in western Liguria, the town is especially famous for sports occasions and musical events. The town hosts the annual Sanremo Music Festival of the Italian Song, the Sanremo Car Rally Race part of the FIA World Rally Championship, and is the arrival of the classical cycling race Milan-Sanremo, included in the cycling World Cup.
- Altitude: 15 m a.s.l
- Population: about 56,000 inhabitants in 2011
- Zip/postal code: 18038
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0184
- Patron Saint: St. Romolo, bishop of Genoa, celebrated on 13 October.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Sanremo includes frazioni and quartieri, as follows:
- the frazioni: Bevino, Borello, Bussana, Bussana Vecchia, Coldirodi, Gozo Inferiore, Gozo Superiore, Poggio, San Bartolomeo, San Donato, San Giacomo, San Giovanni, San Romolo, Sant'Antonio, Pian Della Castagna, Verezzo, San Pietro;
- the quarters: Borgo Baragallo, Borgo Tinasso, Foce, Pian di Poma, Pigna, San Lazzaro, San Lorenzo, San Martino, Solaro
What to see
- The Castello Devachan, rebuilt in the Liberty style in the early 20th century for Horace Seville Earl of Mexbourough, who chose the name from an Indian word meaning "second heaven of of the soul", to indicate a resting place for buddhists on their journey towards the Nirvana. Lord Seville bought the castle in 1890, when he was already 75, for his second young wife Lady Lucy. Before then the castle was called "Villa Silvia" from the name of the Lord's first wife.
- The church of San Siro built in the early 12th century by architects from Como (Maestri Comacini) on a previous early christian temple, still existing 10 ft below the present building. The belltower, probably built at the same time, was much taller than it is today, and is renowned for the sound of its twelve bells.
- Bussana Vecchia, a 1000 years old ghost town a few kilometers from the Italian-French border, founded probably in the second half of the ninth century when the coastal region was repeatedly attacked by Saracens and built on the top of a hill to be easily defended. In 1429 it counted 250 inhabitants and it was granted authonomy from the Marine Republic of Genoa. A severe earthquake hit Bussana on February 23, 1887 killing over 2000 peoples: it was 6:21 on Ash Wednesday morning. Most buildings were so severely damaged that the authorities decided to rebuild the village in a new site downhill called Bussana Nuova (New Bussana). The old village was abandoned and all of its buildings declared dangerous. In 1947 immigrants from Southern Italy started illegally settling the ghost town, so the autorithies ordered the destruction of all first floor stairways and rooftops. Despite this in the early '60 a group of artists, the Community of International Artists (now International Artists Village), decided to move to Bussana Vecchia. Today the International Artists Village, despite periodical confrontation with the authorities, is still there, selling manufacts to the tourists or organizing artistic events.