Bordighera, Province of Imperia, Liguria
- Altitude: 5 m a.s.l
- Population: about 10,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 18012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0184
- Patron Saint: St. Ampelio, celebrated on May 14
- Frazioni & Localities: Borghetto San Nicolò, Sasso
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages
In 1296 a bull by Pope Boniface VIII first mentions the name Burdigheta possibly derived from the French bordigue, to indicate an artificial lagoon used as fishery. On 2 September 1470 some families from the hamlet of San Nicolò meet inn the parish church and establish to rebuild Bordighera, previously abandoned, on top of the cape.
History - Modern Times
What to see
- The Città Vecchia, ancient fortified borough with mighty walls, built on an irregular 5-sided plan, where only 3 gates opened, the Porta del Capo, Porta Soprana and the Porta Sottana, leading into a maze of narrow lanes branching from the two main streets, the Via Lunga and the Via Dritta.
- The Museo Bicknell, with reproductions of the cave graffiti found in the Ligurian caves in the area
- The panoramic Via dei Colli, which follows the steep coast offering an astounding panorama