Tarquinia, Province of Viterbo, Lazio
- Altitude: 133 m a.s.l
- Population: about 16,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 01016
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0766
- Patron Saint: Maria Santissima of Valverde, celebrated on 8th May
- Frazioni & Localities: Tarquinia Lido, Marina Velca, Saline, Sant' Agostino
In 358 BC the citizens of Tarquinii captured and put to death 307 Roman soldiers; the resulting war ended in 351 with a forty years' truce, renewed for a similar period in 308. When Tarquinii came under Roman domination is uncertain, as is also the date at which it became a municipality; in 181 BC its port, Graviscae (today Porto Clementino), in an unhealthy position on the low coast, became a Roman colony. It exported wine and carried on coral fisheries. Nor do we hear much of it in Roman times; it lay on the hills above the coast road. The flax and forests of its extensive territory are mentioned by classical authors, and we find Tarquinii offering to furnish Scipio with sailcloth in 195 B.C. A bishop of Tarquinii is mentioned in 456.
What to see
- Excavations and tombs of the Etruscan town, among the best preserved Etruscan sites in Italy.