Bolsena, Province of Viterbo, Lazio
- Altitude: 350 m a.s.l
- Population: about 5000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 01023
- Phone Area Code: 0761
- Patron Saint: Santa Cristina di Bolsena, celebrated on 24 July.
Under the Romans Volsinii became an important centre strengthened along the Via Cassia. Bolsena is famous for a miracle in 1263, when a Bohemian priest doubting in the real presence of Christ's flesh and blood in the consecrated host, saw blood dropping from the host and staining the Mass linen cloth (=called corporal), which is now preserved in the Orvieto Cathedral. On that occasion the Corpus Domini festivity was established.
What to see
- The Church of Santa Cristina, a Romanesque building of the 11th century, with a facade rebuilt in Renaissance times. Along the left aisle there is the "Cappella del Miracolo", where in 1263 a Bohemian monk doubting of the presence of Christ's blood in the Holy Host, while celebrating Mass saw blood dropping from the Eucharist, and staining the marble altars. In the nearby Catacombs there is the "Grotta di Santa Cristina" with a work in multi-colored terracotta by Giovanni della Robbia.
- The Castle, with a square plan and towers in the corners, built in the 13th century, now the seat of the "Museo Territoriale del Lago di Bolsena", a museum that tells the history of the lake from the prehistoric settlements at Villanova, then the Etruscan times, the Roman town of Volsinii, and the life of the fishermen on the lake.
- The archeological site of Volsinii, 1 km along the road leading to Orvieto, with thermal structures, a forum, a basilica, as well as the residential quarters of the ancient Roman town.
- The Lake Tour, a 52 km long itinerary around the lake, through mountains and hills covered with vineyards and the original Mediterranean forest of oak and chestnut trees.
- 23 July, in the evening, miracle play representing the "Misteri di Santa Cristina", with living scenes re-enacting the life and martyrdom of the saint child prepared along the itinerary from the Basilica to the Church of the Santissimo Salvatore, with a procession carrying the saint's statue and stopping at each scene; the procession is repeated in the opposite direction the following morning, 24 July.