Rieti, Province of Rieti, Lazio
It is built on a surface of travertine, surrounded by mountains, and dominated by the Terminillo. In Roman times the ancient Reate was the capital of the Sabina. In the centuries it was at times under the Church, and is still today surrounded by powerful walls.
- Population: about 40,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 02100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0746
- Patron Saint: Santa Rosa from Viterbo, celebrated on 4 September
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, erected on the remains of the ancient 6th century church in 1109. The Baptistery dates back to the 14th century. The atrium was built by bishop Capranica in 1458.
- Last week in August, historical re-enactemnt and "Grande Spettacolo del Fuoco "