In medieval time a citadel was built on the highest part of the mountain, the "Rocca", which was a fortified, unconquerable Anjou outpost, strategically important along the Via degli Abruzzi. In 1382 it was bought by Queen Giovanna I, then in 1529 became a fiefdom of Giovanni Battista Savelli, to pass in the following centuries under the lordship of the Colonna, Bandini and Giugni families.
Antrodoco, Province of Rieti, Lazio
The name comes from "Interocrium", from an ancient root "ocre" meaning "amid mountains", and it was a Roman center, famous also for being the place of birth of emperors Vespasianus, Titus and Domitianus. Ancient sources also mention the healthy properties of its sulphur waters.
- Altitude: m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 2900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 02013
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0746
- Frazioni & Localities: Castello di Corno, Rapelle, Rocca di Corno, Rocca di Fondi, Vignola
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
It was a place of rest for travelers, being situated at the point where the Salaria split in the two branches, one going to Amiternum (near present-day L'Aquila) and the other to Ascoli.
History - the Modern Age
From the catasto onciario of mid-18th century the population was over 2000 inhabitants. In 1821 it took part to the Carbonari rebellion led by Neapolitan Guglielmo Pepe against the Austrian army of general Frimont, and the first great battle of the Italian Risorgimento was fought in the canyons near the town between 7 and 9 march of that year. In 1960 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy, then in 1862 a ruinous flood compelled part of the population to rebuild their homes down valley, in the area called "Rocchetta". For centuries part of the Province of L'Aquila, and belonging to the Abruzzi region, in 1927 was included in the newly established Province of Rieti.
What to see
- The Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, destroyed in the earthquake of 1703, originally in the Romanesque style, preserves inside a precious cross in gilded copper, in the 15th century Abruzzese style.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria extra-moenia, also called Santa Maria della Nave, is the most important monument in the territory. Built around the year 1000 AD on a previous temple to goddess Diana, was originally dedicated to San Severo, then in 1051 consecrated by bishop Gerardo to Santa Maria. The building was repeatedly restored in the centuries, in consequence of the many ruinous earthquakes.
- Santuario della Madonna delle Grotte, in the mountains, where in 1601 the Virgin Mary appeared to a poor shepherdess, Bernardina Boccacci; on the spot an altar was built the following year and later a sanctuary.