Amatrice, Province of Rieti, Lazio
Formerly belonging to the Province of L'Aquila, Amatrice is a mountain center rising along the North-western slopes of the Gran Sasso massif.
- Altitude: 955 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: over 6500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 02012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0746
- Patron Saint: santa Maria di Filetta, celebrated on the Sunday following Ascension
- Frazioni & Localities: Arafranco, Bagnolo, Capricchia, Casale, Casali di Sopra, Casali di Sotto, Cascello, Collalto, Collecreta, Collegentilesco, Collemagrone, Collemoresco, Collepagliuca, Colli, Configno, Cornillo Nuovo, Cornillo Vecchio, Cossito, Domo, Faizzone, Ferrazza, Forcelle, Moletano, Mosicchio, Nommisci, Pasciano, Patarico, Petrana, Pinaco, Poggio Vitellino, Ponte a Tre Occhi, Prato, Preta, Retrosi, Rio, Roccapassa, Rocchetta, Saletta, San Benedetto, San Capone, San Giorgio, San Lorenzo a Pinaco, San Lorenzo e Flaviano, Santa Giusta, Sant'Angelo, Scai, Sommati, Torrita, Varoni, Voceto.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
It was a flourishing Roman center, built along the important Salaria road, then kept a certain importance also in the Middle Ages. The small town was tragically hit and almost razed to the ground by an earthquake on 26 August 2016.
What to see
- The 13th century Chiesa di San Francesco, in the Romanesque style but with a wonderful Gothic portal above which a lunette with statues of the enthroned Virgin with Child and angels
- The church of Sant'Agostino, near the medieval walls, with a rich rose-window and a beautifully carved Gothic portal, with statues in the lunette of the Archangel Gabriel, the Annunciation, and friars around.