Rocca d'Arce, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
Rocca d'Arce, known as the balcony on the Liri valley, has very ancient origins. Nowadays its cool weather and wholesome air offers tourists a wonderfully refreshing vacation in summer.
- Altitude: 650m a.s.l
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Bernardo
- How to reach it: A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Ceprano.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Archeological findings show that it was inhabited already in the iron age, then in later times on the high rock a fortress, protected by megalithic walls was built by the Volsci, a pre-Roman people. Ancient historians tell of the old Volsci citadel of Fregellae, to be identified with this settlement, which was destroyed in a war against the Samnites, another pre-Roman people. The citadel had a paramount strategic importance in the centuries, thanks to its key positions in the valley of the Liri river.
What to see
- The church of San Bernardo with frescos by painters of the Neapolitan School
- The church of San Rocco
- Archway of the Lancia family
- Medieval castle, mostly ruins
- The Pilella waterfalls in the area called Valle Cautara
- Pinewood at Montenero.