For a time it was also a residence of English author D.H.Lawrence, and the house where he lived and wrote "The Lost Girl", which is set against the natural scenery of the area. A peculiar tradition of Picinisco is the construction of the zampogne, made with olive wood and with air sacks made from goat or lamb skin. The zampognari also used to wear the traditional "ciocie" (from which the area is called Ciociaria), open leather footwear which surely derive from Etruscan designs.
Picinisco, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
- Altitude: 725m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1200 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Lorenzo
- How to reach it: A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Cassino.
The name Picinisco may be of Saracen origin but there is no certainty. The walls that surround Picinisco had five Gates: the Porta Saracina, Porta Codarda, Porta Rione, Porta della Prece and Porta della Piazza.
What to see
- The Grottacampanaro Lake
- The castle which has four towers, the oldest called Torretta goes back to the 11th century and was revealed during the Allies' 1944 bombing, since another larger tower was built in the 15th century around it.
- The church of San Lorenzo, which was built in 1305 but was repeatedly enlarged and restored; of great interest is the 11th century belltower, which maybe was a military sighting tower.
- The church of San Rocco
- The church of Santa Maria
Places of interest in the vicinity are:
- In Alvito the Palazzo Ducale and 17th-century Churches of Santa Teresa and San Simeone
- In Campoli Appennino the Medieval tower of the 11th century
- In San Biagio Saracinisco the Church of San Biagio (12th century)
- In San Donato Val di Comino the old town, the 17th-century Church of Santa Maria and San Marcello, the 8th century Sanctuary of San Donato;
- In Settefrati the Church of Santo Stefano (10th century), the Church of Madonna delle Grazie (17th century), as well as Roman ruins
- In Vallerotonda the 14th-century church of Santa Maria Assunta.