Pastena, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
The word Pastena comes from the Latin verb "pastinare" meaning to cultivate
- Altitude: 318m a.s.l
- Population: about 1750 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0775
- Patron Saint: Ss. Croce-S. Sinoforo
- How to reach it: by road, A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Frosinone.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
It was an ancient center of the Volsci, an Italic pre-Roman people. In the Middle Ages it was defended by high walls with 15 towers built in the 11th century, which made it an unconquerable citadel. All the mystery and fascination of the ancient medieval atmosphere can still be enjoyed walking along the narrow streets the little squares embellished by ancient portals.
What to see
- The Pastena grottos
- The pinewood in the area called Madonna delle Macchie
- Boundary milestones between the Church State and the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.