Guarcino, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
Against the magnificent scenery of the Ernici mountains, this center is ideal for tourists both for the good air and attractive natural surroundings, and for the delicious local cuisine and great hospitality of its people.
- Altitude: 625m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1650 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03016
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0775
- Patron Saint: St. Agnello
- How to reach it: by road, A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Anagni; by Train: from Rome to Fiuggi, then bus to Guarcino or Frosinone.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The origins of Guercino date back to the 8th century BC, when it was a settlement with the name of Vercenum of the Ernici, a pre-Roman Italic people, and strategic point in the valley of the Aniene river. Nowadays it is a favorite starting point for excursions into the limestone mountains, amid age old trees, spring waters and picturesque grottos.
What to see
- The sanctuary of Sant'Agnello
- The monastery of San Luca
- A belltower in the form of a sail (the only one in Lazio)
- The Tomassi palace (the homestead of Pope Boniface VIII).