Fumone, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
Located on the border of the ancient Church State, near the picturesque lake of Canterno, Fumone was a medieval garrison post founded at the time of the invasions of Saracens and Normans.
It seems its name derives from "fumo" (=smoke) from the signals that were used by the sentries to warn of enemies approaching. The fortress was used also as a prison, and here pope San Pietro Celestino, a hermit originary of Molise and known first as Pietro da Morrone, then elected to the papal see as pope Celestino V, the only pope who abdicated, was imprisoned here by his successor Pope Bonifacio VIII and died under mysterious circumstances in 1296.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 783m a.s.l
- Population: about 2100 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0775
- Patron Saint: St. Sebastiano
- How to reach it: A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Anagni Fiuggi.
What to see
- The church of SS. Annunziata
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie
- The castle, with the highest hanging gardens in Europe
- The Canterno Lake.