Fontechiari, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
This small center is a true treasure hidden in the Comino valley, an ideal place for tours on the surrounding Meta and Mainarde mountains and into the beautiful countryside in the valleys.
The great number of springs of fresh water probably suggested the name of Fontechiari. However, until 1862 it was called Schiavi (slave) because the slaves of Caius Marius, the Roman general from Arpino, were kept here. The ancient medieval settlement was surrounded by high walls, some remains of which are still extant, with a high, powerful square tower of the Boncompagni lords.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 375m a.s.l
- Population: about 1250 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Bartolomeo
- How to reach it: A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Frosinone.
What to see
- The Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Fratelli, with a 13th century statue of Christ
- The church of Saints Giovanni Battista and Evangelista
- The church of Sant'Anna with inside fine 14th century frescoes
- Grottos of Sant'Onofrio
- A cemetery of Napoleonic times (early 19th century)
- Medieval tower.