Fiuggi, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
The town is situated in a green area of majestic chestnut woods, and was called until 1911 Anticoli di Campagna; the new name was taken by the area of the springs, called in local dialect frugi for ferns, a plant which grows in great abundance in the area.
- Altitude: 747 m a.s.l
- Population: about 8000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03014
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0775
- Patron Saint: St Blaise, celebrated on 3 February
- Frazioni & Localities: Cimetta, Fonte
History - Antiquity
Surely the area was inhabited since very early prehistoric times, as shown by remains of stilt huts in nearby lake Canterno. In the 6th century AD there is mention of Felcia, a small mountain center on a natural rock between the ditches called Diluvio and Diavolo. It is still possible to see an ancient door called Portella that led into the citadel, and the street plan reminds of the perpendicular structure of a Roman town.
History - the Middle Ages
A legend tells that he requested the love of young girls of the village, and in case he discovered a poor girl was not a virgin he would throw the unfortunate down a well - the well still exists today, and is called Pozzo della vergine. The legend goes that a widow of the place, Maria Terrinoni, to spare her daughter engaged to Elvezio Maggi killed the lord.
What to see
- The "Porta della Portella", leading into the ancient citadel, and, as in Alatri, Ferentino and Veroli, probably was the most ancient entrance into the pre-Roman acropolis.
- The Sanctuary of Madonna della Stella, in the area of the marshy Canterno lake, built on the spot where in April 1690 Felicia Colarossi saw the virgin Mary. In the same place a local peasant, Antonio da Alatri, while his cow loaded with pots was drowning in the lake heard a voice and asked for help in mary's name, and the cow was saved; the same voice was heard by a shepherd, Sebastiano Ambrosi, who went into the forest where the voice had come from and saw on a rock an image of the Virgin Mary with the words "Ave Maris Stella".
- The Grand Hotel, built in 1910 in the liberty style, which marked the beginning of Fiuggi as a spa resort. Today is a museum and exhibition center.
- The church of Santo Stefano, of the 12th century, originally Gothic but renovated in the Baroque style, built according to the tradition over an ancient pagan temple.
Where to stay
Contact us with details and priorities.