Broccostella, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
- Population: ca.2500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo
- How to reach it: by road, A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit at Frosinone from the North or Cassino from the South, then follow in the direction of Sora taking at Cassino the "superstrada" Cassino-Sora-Avezzano.
The first mention of the castle of Brocco is in a document dated 1167 when the King of Sicily Guglielmo II gave Brocco to Simone di Sorella. In 1230 the place, together with Sora, Isola del Liri and Pescosolido, was plundered by the armies of Frederick II. In 1579 it was sold to a Boncompagni family, and in a document of the time it was described as a small place with only 75 families, with a rich angling of trout, in the Fibreno river, which divided into seven branches to flow then into the Liri.
Originally known only as Brocco, which is the ancient village on top of a steep mountain at an altitude of 528 mt above sea level, the little town experienced a population move to the downhill and valley area along the road called "Sferracavalli" in the area called originally Madonna della Stella, from which the name of Broccostella adopted in 1954. Today the large majority of the population live down in the valley. A great citizen of Broccostella was Evan Gorga (Broccostella 1865, Rome 1957), famous for his large collections of ancient musical instruments and as a tenor, who sang also as Rodolfo in the premiere of Puccini's Bohème, directed by Arturo Toscanini.
What to see
- In Brocco Alto there is the ancient 11th century church of San Michele Arcangelo, the old parish church, but the larger church of Madonna della Stella is today the main parish.
- The sighting tower in Brocco Alto
- The Lake of Posta Fibreno, a natural reserve of great beauty.
- In the small district called Pignataro there was a clay quarry called Cretaro, which gave rise to a flourishing craft of terracotta potmakers. Many items are in the Museo delle Tradizioni Popolari in Rome.
- The recent Sports Palace, used not only for sports meetings but also for theatrical performances, which has greatly enhanced the cultural life of the place.
- market day every Sunday;
- 8 may: patron feast in honor of San Michele Arcangelo in the parish priest of Brocco Alto;
- 11 June: feast of Sant'Antonio and Madonna delle Chiaie in Brocco Alto;
- 2nd Sunday in September: traditional fair near the townhall;
- last Sunday in September: feast of Santa Maria SS. Addolorata.