Belmonte Castello, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
The charming village, "Bellus Mons" rises on a peak surrounded by the thick woods of Mount Cairo. An underground stream causes a natural phenomenon called "fosse", two craters from where a cold wind comes through.
- Altitude: 369m a.s.l
- Population: about 750 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola
- How to reach it: by road, A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Cassino.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
A fiefdom of the counts of Aquino in the 13th century became property of the counts of Alvito, who probably built the castle which was destroyed during World War II, and only two columns at the entrance can still be seen. In the 19th century textile handcraft flourished but today only very few people continue this ancient art.
What to see
- The church of St. Nicola
- The church of St. Rocco
- The church of St. Venditto
- The Remains of the Romano Aqueduct in the area Costa Campopiano)
- The "fosse" in the areas of Campodivalle and Vaccareccia.