Acquafondata, Province of Frosinone, Lazio
In the center of a valley, surrounded by the green Meta mountains, Acquafondata is an ideal for relax breath with fresh, pure air at 1000m above sea level.
Its name comes from "Aqua fundata" because in the valley there once was a lake called "Vitecusum". This little hilly town is known for the handmade bag pipes, an old tradition for people used to sheep farming and wood work.
- Altitude: 960m a.s.l
- Population: about 300 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 03040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0776
- Patron Saint: St. Giovanni Battista
- How to reach it: by road, A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Cassino
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of San Giovanni Battista
- The church of San Rocco (17th century)
- The Remains of the castle of Acquafondata and Casalcassinese (14th century)
- Remains of the church of St. Maria
- The church of Santa Margherita, where Frà Domenico De Filippis, a much beloved Franciscan friar, lived
- The church of Madonna del Carmelo, which was built in honor of the Carmelo Virgin, who is said to have appeared to a peasant woman working in the fields.