Tarvisio, Province of Udine, Friuli‑Venezia Giulia
Tarvisio is located in the northeastern part of the region, at the border both to Austria and Slovenia, in the Val Canale.
As the rest of the Val Canale, the town was mostly Slovenian-speaking in 1918, but today both Slovenes and German-speakers are only a minority compared to Italians. Today, tourism and winter sports have become important industries, for which the Karavanke, the Carnic Alps and the Julian Alps offer good opportunities.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 754 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 33018
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0428
- Patron Saint: Saints Peter and Paul, celebrated on 29th June
- Frazioni & Localities: Camporosso in Valcanale, Cave del Predil, Coccau, Fusine in Valromana, Monte Lussari, Muda, Plezzut, Poscolle, Rutte, Sant'Antonio
The roots of Tarvisio date back to Roman times. Up to 1918, it was part of Carinthia. It is located upon ancient trade routes and also had considerable importance because of nearby mines. For a long time, Tarvis benefited economically from people coming from Austria and Yugoslavia for purposes of shopping.