Misano Adriatico, Province of Rimini, Emilia‑Romagna
The territory of this center goes from the sea level, where the long fine beach is served by many tourist establishments, to about 200 m a.s.l. of the hinterland, made of gentle hills, and including the natural reserve of the Conca River.
Misano is very conveniently located and daily excursions are possible to Assisi (km 166), Ravenna (km 64), Loreto (km 106), San Marino (km 35), Bologna (km 118), Urbino (km 53), Frasassi (km 112)
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Emilia-Romagna
- Altitude: 49 m a.s.l
- Population: about 12,000 inhabitants (in 2010)
- Zip/postal code: 47843
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0541
- Patron Saint: St. Biagio, celebrated on 3rd February
- Demonym: misanesi
- Frazioni & Localities: Belvedere, Misano Brasile, Misano Cella, Misano Mare, Misano Monte, Portoverde, Santamonica, Scacciano, Villaggio Argentina.
Misano was a Roman settlement since the 3rd century AD, when a Gens Mesia received lands in the area and gave their name to the place. In 997 AD the Pieve di Sant'Erasmo, one of the most ancient churches in the province, was built, and from 1295 to 1528 Misano was a dominion of the Malatesta, who built a castle whose tower and entrance are still extant. After 1528 it became part of the Church State until 1861, when it was included in the kingdom of Italy.
In 1862 the name was changed to Villa Vittoria then in 1935 became Misano Adriatico. Traditionally for long centuries an agricultural center, in the 1930's underwent a growing tourist development along the coast.
What to see
- The ancient settlement of Misano Monte, at 97 m a.s.l.
- In the immediate vicinities, the famous theme parks of the Riviera: Aquafan, Mirabilandia, Fiabilandia, the Delfinarium, Italia in Miniatura, Le Navi, Go-Kart, Indiana Golf.
- In the area between Misano and Riccione, the mythical discos Peter Pan, Byblos, Prince, Cocoricò
- In the frazione Santamonica, there is an international Autodrome, built in 1972 with the contribution of Enzo Ferrari, where every year important events are held, such as the Superbike, Ferrari Challenge, World Series by Renault, and the Fia European Truck Racing.